Tackling a painting project on your own might sound reasonable at first. But when the full scope of what needs to be done comes clearly into view, most businesses and homeowners realize they’ll need help and start researching topics on how to hire a painter.
When they do, they turn to paint contractors to get the job done fast and—most importantly—get it done right. However, there are a lot of options to choose from out there.
So, how can you know which is the painting company you can trust to provide high-quality work for your project?
This article will explore seven things you should consider when searching for a painting company. And with it, you’ll understand how to hire a painter that’s experienced, knowledgeable, and reputable.
Table of Contents
- What Kind of Experience Does the Painter Have?
- Does Their Expertise Match the Job?
- What Is Their Reputation, Both Online & Offline?
- Do They Have All the Proper Licenses & Coverages?
- Be Wary of “Too Good to be True” Quotes
- Do They Offer a Warranty or Guarantee?
- Are Painters Employees or Subcontractors?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Hiring a Painting Company Near St. Louis? Look No Further.
What Kind of Experience Does the Painter Have?
Few things should come into play as much as experience when searching for a quality painter.
How long have they been serving your community? Is it several decades or just a few years? Do they even say how long they’ve been painting?
Generally speaking, the more experience a painting company has, the better they’ll be in terms of:
- Delivering a quality end product
- Providing great communication and service
- Finishing the job on time and on budget
- Keeping your home protected during the project
Does Their Expertise Match the Job?
Be sure the painting company you partner with actually has expertise with the type of project you’re trying to complete.
If, say, you are looking to repaint your kitchen cabinets, contractors that only have experience with commercial building exteriors won’t be a match. And more than likely, you’ll end up with a final product that’s not up to par.
So be sure to ask what types of projects exactly they have completed in the past during your search.
What Is Their Reputation, Both Online & Offline?
Online reviews are always a critical component of deciding who to work with.
In fact, a whopping 91% of consumers trust online reviews just as much as personal recommendations.
And when it comes to searching for painting companies, reputation should be one of your top concerns.
As you’re scoping out potential contractors then, be sure to scour the internet for reviews of the company. Google, Facebook, and the Better Business Bureau are all good places to start.
Look for companies that have at least 4.5 stars out of 5 and an A- or higher on the Better Business Bureau.
To get an even better idea of what to expect, you may also want to reach out to past clients. Most painting contractors will be able to provide references for other jobs they’ve completed. And if the prospective company refuses, it’s usually a red flag.
Do They Have All the Proper Licenses & Coverages?
One of the most important things to understand when learning how to hire a painter is that checking for the proper licenses and coverages is essential.
When it comes to licenses, not all states and jurisdictions require them. On a state level, for instance, you can operate a painting company without obtaining a license in Illinois. Missouri, on the other hand, does require a license.
That being said, a painting company that’s licensed is often more trustworthy than an unlicensed one.
Beyond licenses, you’ll also want to ensure your painting company is properly insured. General liability is most important as it’ll protect you if a worker has an accident on your property. But you’ll also want to check for worker’s compensation since Missouri state law requires it for contractors.
Last but not least, finding a company that belongs to associations that ensure proper quality standards like the Painting Contractors Association (PDF) is a sign of a reputable painting company.
Be Wary of “Too Good to be True” Quotes
In the painting industry, you tend to get what you pay for.
And while a lower price tag can seem appealing at first, lower costs typically come with lower quality.
An especially low quote may also be glossing over the fact that a company doesn’t go through all the necessary steps of completing a painting project the right way.
- Planning properly to set expectations and meet your project goals.
- Prepping the area to protect the space around the project.
- Repairing any surfaces that need it to enhance the final product.
- Painting using industry-leading techniques and high-quality materials.
- Approving the final product with the owner before completing the project.
- Cleaning the worksite and returning the space back to normal (don’t overlook this one!)
Before signing on with a painting company, a clearly defined process is included in the final quote.
Do They Offer a Warranty or Guarantee?
While a finished project may look great at first, it can be hard to tell if it’ll withstand the test of time.
Finding a painting company near St. Louis that offers some sort of warranty or guarantee is a great way to ensure your project looks great for years to come.
You may also want to be on the lookout for other warranties that ensure a stress-free painting experience or satisfaction guarantees too.
Working with a company without such guarantees generally does not bode well. It can even be one of the biggest mistakes you can make when hiring a painting contractor.
Are Painters Employees or Subcontractors?
Last but not least, you’ll want to be sure a company actually employs its painters.
Subcontractors are hired out by other contractors to get the job done. And while there’s nothing inherently wrong with that arrangement, it allows less control over the quality of the work, the behavior of the workers, and ultimately the customer experience as a whole.
When workers are actual employees, though, the painting company will typically have higher vetting and quality standards. And for you, that means a better end product.
Have peace of mind; contact St. Louis’ trusted painting company!
Frequently Asked Questions
Now that you have a better understanding of what to consider when hiring a painting company let’s take a look at some of the most frequently asked questions about the process.
What Should I Look for When Hiring a Painting Contractor?
Finding a painting contractor you can trust when you don’t know what to look for is tough.
That’s why it’s important to be on the watch for the following qualities when searching for a painting company:
- A wealth of experience in the industry (preferably 5+ years at least)
- Expertise with your specific type of job (interior, exterior, cabinetry, etc.)
- A sterling online reputation and glowing references
- Properly licensed and carrying insurance (both liability and worker’s comp)
- Reasonable project quotes that include all the necessary steps of proper painting
- Offer a service and quality warranty or guarantee
- Painters are actually employees, not subcontractors
How Do I Hire a Good Painter?
Here are the steps you should follow when hiring a quality painting company to tackle your project.
- Find a company with the qualities listed above.
- Learn more about their business by exploring their processes, reading their reviews, and assessing their expertise.
- Talk to an expert to get an estimate on your particular project (be as detailed as you can with the specifics so as to avoid any unplanned costs along the way).
- Compare the quote with other contractors in the area and decide on a painting contractor.
- Get a complete contract that outlines the exact scope of work, estimated completion time, quality standards, etc.
- Set a date for work to begin and check in regularly for updates on the progress.
What Should I Expect from a Professional Painter?
Below are the project stages you can expect when working with a true professional.
- Planning: This stage will involve lots of back and forth about the specifics of your project, including choosing a paint color, deciding on finishes, and more.
- Prepping: This is when the painting crew prepares the area around the project by covering them with protective materials like tape and plastic.
- Repairing: The painting crew will assess any surfaces for damage and repair them to ensure a high-quality end product during this stage.
- Painting: This stage is when the actual priming and painting take place. Only after the previous stages is everything in place for this stage to begin.
- Approving: The owner will assess the final quality of the project during this stage and sign off on the successful completion of the project.
- Cleaning: During this final stage, the painting crew will clean up the worksite and return the area to the exact condition it was before.
Hiring a Painting Company Near St. Louis? Look No Further
Understanding how to hire a painter to ensure the best results is just step #1.
After that, you have to find the right painting company near you that actually fulfills all those criteria. And if you’re in the St. Louis area, that’s where we come in.
HBP Painting Contractors is a family-owned and operated business serving the greater St. Louis area for years. With both residential and commercial painting expertise, our experienced painters have the knowledge and professionalism to make your painting job 100% stress-free.
We use only the highest quality products, follow a proven 6-step process, and have consistently earned 5-star reviews over our 30+ years in the industry.
So, if you’re looking for a reliable, skilled painting company near St. Louis to do your painting project right, get in touch for your free consultation and schedule a free estimate.